What is BOOK IT BOBCATS?
Book it Bobcats is Bill Roberts’ summer reading program, created to foster literacy while raising funds for our school. Kids track their summer reading, ask friends/family for sponsorship and in the fall we celebrate their success and give out some pretty cool prizes!!
Our primary goal is to keep EVERY student reading throughout the summer. Consistent practice helps establish reading as a priority, a joy, and a habit. We want every kid to return in the fall prepared to learn! Here is a calculator for setting your reading goal over 100 days (June 3 – September 10).
- 15 minutes daily reading = 25 hours total for the summer
- 30 minutes daily reading = 50 hours for the summer
- 45 minutes daily reading = 75 hours for the summer
- 60 minutes daily reading = 100 hours for the summer
We also have a fundraising goal of $20,000. Here are a few ideas on how to raise dollars for our school while reading:
- Students may ask friends/family to sponsor their summer reading. (Recommended: ask 10 people to contribute $0.50 for every hour spent reading.)
- Instead of buying books for the summer, borrow from the library, and donate saved funds back to the school.
- Sponsorship and donations are NOT required to participate, but fundraising helps support your child’s education.
Need help finding books?
Start with some book suggestions from the Denver Public Library or use Scholastic’s Grade Level Recommendations. Denver Public School and Denver Public Library ebooks are available at soraapp.com with the same student username and password that your student uses for all DPS sites.
For younger students, read aloud to them! There is a direct correlation between the number of books read to a child and the child’s reading success. Reading aloud to our child is one of the best ways to help your child become a strong reader.
The more hours you read, the more prizes you earn!
- The school’s Top Reader will get a $100 bookstore gift card
- The Top Reader and Top Fundraiser in EACH GRADE will win a $20 ice cream gift card
- Any student who raises $100+ will get their name added to a bookplate—in the existing book of their choice—in the school library
Who can participate?
We want ALL Bill Roberts students to participate in Book It Bobcats: from Kindergarten to 8th grade! If you didn’t receive the materials from school, fill out the Registration Form to start. Then download the Book It Bobcats Reading Chart and start recording reading hours.
New to Bill Roberts?
Book It Bobcats is the perfect way to help your child prepare for school and get them involved in Bill Roberts right away. Regardless of grade, THIS PROGRAM IS FOR YOU! Fill out the Registration Form to start. Then download the Book It Bobcats Reading Chart and start recording reading hours. Your child will not want to miss the fun Book It Bobcats celebrations in the fall!
What You Need To Do
Parents can help kids set a summer reading goal and complete the Registration Form by June 3.
READ! READ! READ! Use the Reading Chart to keep track of your hours read from June 3 to September 10 (that’s 100 reading days) Parents or siblings reading to children counts!
Try asking at least 10 people to donate to your reading fundraising campaign. And stay tuned for opportunities to exchange books, share reading progress, and get recognized!
Mark your calendar for a summer gathering and book exchange, on Wednesday, July 20.
Add up summer reading hours and donations, and fill out the Participation Form online, or submit the information to your teacher by September 16. Donations can be made collecting cash or checks (made payable to Bill Roberts PTA).
We will celebrate all of our participants in the Fall. Students who read 100 hours or more will receive VIP treatment at the Super Reader Celebration, on Friday, September 23!